Psychiatry / Psychology / Neuropsychology
In a general hospital setting where the focus is on super specialty and tertiary care, Psychiatry has an important role to play. This area of functioning is known as Consultation Liaison Psychiatry. Here the psychiatrist acts as a consultant to medical and surgical units. Patient in these units may develop secondary problems such as delirium, post operative psychosis etc.; patient may have co-existing psychiatric illness such as major psychosis, which may interfere with the planned management. Patients may also have personality traits or neurotic disorders that may make him non-compliant with the treatment or patients may develop secondary anxiety or depression in reaction to the medical illness, its treatment or unexpected complications. In such conditions psychological treatment is necessary for proper and total patient care.
Besides consultation-liaison psychiatry, the increasing incidence of psychiatric disorders along with the acceptance of treatment methods such as use of antidepressants and counseling brings patients seeking help to the hospital.
The daily psychiatry OPD at Apex Hospital caters to such needs. Patients with problems such as Depression, Schizophrenia, Anxiety Disorders, Addictions and sexual dsyfunctions are offered treatment and Counseling, Drug-Therapy, hospitalization. ECT’s are the available therapeutic methods for such illnesses.
Facilities & Available
- Treatment of Anxiety, Depression, Phobias, Psychosomatic disorders, Behavioural problems in children, Sleep disorders by counselling, therapy and when required, appropriate use of psychotropic medications.
- Treatment, on outpatient basis, for serious mental illnesses like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and addictions.
- Treatment of Geriatric patients, for problems like depression, cognitive decline, and dementia. This is often managed in liaison with other specialists like neurologists and physicians.
- Counselling and therapy for issues like marital problems, academic and career problems, sexual dysfunctions.
- Assessment for diagnosing psychopathology and its intensity and personality disorders by psychometric tests. Assessment of IQ, memory and other cognitive functions of the brain.
- Assessment of psychiatric fitness prior to organ transplantation, sex gender reassignment surgery, cosmetic surgery.
Please fill out the form below