Gastroenterology is a specialty in medicine that deals with the diseases and conditions of the gastrointestinal systems. The Department of Gastroenterology at Apex group of Hospitals has experienced and very well qualified medical gastroenterologists, who are diagnosing the rarest abdominal diseases at the earliest time and providing relief to the patients. Gastroenterology Department is well equipped with one of the most advanced Endoscopic equipment, Olympus. The routine procedures done (both diagnostic and therapeutic) includes, but not limited to, Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, Colonoscopy and ERCP.
Various gastro-intestinal diseases are taken care of at Apex including the following:
- Mal-absorption syndrome
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Irritable bowel diseases
- Peptic ulcer
- Foreign body in oesophagus
- Pain, cramp, swelling, lump or gas in abdomen
- Diarrhoea or constipation
- Blood or worms in stool
- Nausea or vomiting
- Difficulty or painful swallowing
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive weight loss
- Icterus (yellowish discolouration of skin)
- Anemia (Paleness)
- Upper GI Endoscopy
- Emergency endoscopy for GI bleeds
- Therapeutic endoscopy
- Interventional GI radiology
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS):
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that affects the large intestine. Signs and symptoms include abdominal cramping disccomfort, abdominal pain, bloating, gas or flatulence, and altered bowel in the form of diarrhea or constipation, or both. IBS is a chronic condition that needs long term followup.
Some people may be able to control their symptoms by managing their diet, improving their lifestyle and with measures to reduce stress.
Severe symptoms can be treated with medication and counseling.
Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD):
Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), is a disorder which affects the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), which lies between the esophagus and stomach. GERD can cause heartburn or acid indigestion. Some people have hiatus hernia due to which they may suffer from GERD. In most cases, GERD can be relieved through dietary modification and lifestyle changes, but if the symptoms are not well controlled, some people may need medication, or else surgery, more so for hiatus hernia.
Cirrhosis is a late stage of chronic liver disease in which the normal liver is replaced by scarred liver with regenerative nodules. It is the end result of chronic hepatitis,chronic alcohol related liver disease and few other chronic liver diseases.
As cirrhosis advances, the liver can get decompensated leading to life threatening complications. Liver transplantation is one of the feasible solutions for end-stage liver disease.
The Department of Gastroenterology has experienced and very well qualified medical gastroenterologists, who are diagnosing the rarest abdominal diseases at the earliest time and providing relief to the patients. Gastroenterology Department is well equipped with one of the most advanced Endoscopic equipment. The routine procedures done (both diagnostic and therapeutic) includes, but not limited to, Esophagogastroduodenoscopy, Colonoscopy and ERCP.
The department offers:
- Consultation offered to dyspepsia, heartburn and all abdominal disorders
- Special Clinics for Jaundice and liver problems
- Hi-tech Endoscopy suites and emergency endoscopy
- Special clinics for H pylori, diagnosis and treatment
- Fully supported by radiological and lab investigation
SALIENT FEATURES OF THE SURGICAL UNIT:
Therapeutic endoscopic work includes:
- Treatment of GI (gastro-intestinal) bleed Variceal banding
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection(EMR)
- Balloon dilatation of strictures and achalasia
- Foreign body removal
- GI (gastro-intestinal) stenting
- Biliary procedures
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG) tube placement
- Feeding tube placement
Procedures performed at Apex include:
- Colonoscopy & Sigmoidoscopy
- Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- Endoscopic Ultrasound (EUS)
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection (EMR)
- Endoscopic therapies for Barrett’s esophagus (BARRX)
- Liver Biopsy
- Magnification endoscopy
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT